Saturday, October 15, 2005

T. Raumschmiere @ WUK

Sometime not too long ago, DJs realized that rockstars had more fun, about the same time as rock bands figured out that people dance to electro/techno beats. And so were born, amongst others, LCD Soundsystem and Mahi Mahi in the (greater) New York sphere and T. Raumschmiere and isolee and egoexpress around Berlin.

So much for the genesis. T. Raumschmiere, former techno DJ, now tours with a band. He jumps and writhes on stage and throws beer around and sometimes he plays a little guitar or presses buttons. The problem is though that when you're (I'm) watching the performance happening on stage, you (I) don't dance; I watch, and then it's really not good enough, musically - it's just a farce, a performance. Or maybe it was just my mood. But I wasn't impressed, though I think his Monstertruckdriver is one of the best tracks of this year? last year?

The bald intense drummer reminded me of VZO of Mahi Mahi, though T. Raumschmiere is no VVR - he's the scrawny dirty bearded undershirtwearing hipsteropposite of eighties mod. It seems paradoxical that Mahi Mahi's cool intensity can get hipsters to dance while they only nod to T. Raumschmiere's nasty bass and theatricals. But no matter. The set was also ripoffishly short, not even an hour, which despite the fact I wasn't enjoying it much left a bad taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home