Tuesday, October 18, 2005

packing

Once again, it's late (early) and I'm (not) packing. Whittling down my stuff to a backpack's worth isn't fun - on one hand I feel like I shouldn't have so many darn possessions, on the other I hate leaving so much behind, especially my books. I dream of the day where I'll be settled enough to bring all my books together in one place, though it'll probably never happen, shipping is too expensive.

fm4 is broadcasting a reading from "twelve", a novel about kids in New York City. It's in German translation, but they leave the street names as is: "Mike ging die second avenue hinauf und machte links bei der eightysecond street." The story itself seems a lot like "Kids" in novel form - everyone's after drugs and sex and about fifteen. Kids these days.

Tomorrow - today now - I'll be there myself, New York City. I've reached a point where I can't think about it anymore, it just has to happen and it'll all work out. I hope.

Of course, I got a phone call today from the people at the place here that I applied to - they had a project they thought I'd be interested in, I should come in, etc. Ehm...sorry. But it's a year-long project, so if this New York thing doesn't work out... the living is easy in Vienna, as my dad never tires of pointing out. Lonesome, I counter, but he's right.

I went to the Burgtheater tonight, saw "König Ottokar's Glück und Ende". If I knew Shakespeare's histories better I could make a pertinent comparison. It's basically the story of the founding of the Austrian/Hapsburg Empire, as written in the 19th century, and now with a modern dramaturgy on top. Nothing I can say about it will make sense to most readers and besides I fell asleep in the fourth act (it was so warm... I woke up when people started shooting). It was lovely, everyone got dirty, and my seat cost all of 2 euros. See last sentence of above paragraph.

Five Things To Miss About Vienna:
1, Naschmarkt
2, Flex
3, Cafe Kafka/Hawelka/Prückel
4, Medias: fm4, Falter. The new Fleisch looks good too.
5...... too many things that just aren't quite the best thing ever the way the others are. Besides now I want to go to sleep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home